Thursday 22 May 2014

From Friendship to Relationship.....

Hello everyone,
Hope you are all doing great and having a nice day wherever you are.
Okay moving on to today's post,its a continuation of our story.

Our friendship grew so strong and our loved ones around us always questioned and teased us about the friendship. Even our parents questioned our friendship. Let me say this before I forget, in our early days of friendship, I told my mom that I have a new friend and his name is Dimples. This is how that conversation went:

Mom: So where is he from?
Me: He's British
Mom: No, where is he originally from?
Me: Nigeria
Mom: Why don't you want to tell me where in Nigeria
Me: Erm, mom we are just friends oo but he is Ibadan
Mom: WHAT?!! No, you cannot marry an Ibadan man o, ha no o, they do not take care of their wives. Don't you remember your aunties?
Me: Mom, its not that serious, we are just friends and marriage is not on my mind, I have school to focus on.
Mom: We will talk about the marriage part later but go and tell dimples you cannot marry him. I will tell your aunties to call you.
Me: *Shocked* But why?
*Mum drops phone, 5minutes later, all my mom's siblings called me and conversation was more like...he is Ibadan...* It was a funny conversation and I was just laughing throughout as they all took it serious like i said I am getting married oo. Hmm
(But today, my mom can have loooong conversations with dimples o. Apparently he is a diluted Ibadan and different person).

So our parents knew about our friendship so it was easy for them to question us separately, what are you doing? where is this going? Most times I got upset like cant you have a friend without all these questions coming up? Na wa o.
Apart from parents, friends also interrogated us daily and questioned the friendship too. Even people that we did not know, random people on the street will say things like -'you guys look great together' and we have to say thank you but we are friends and they always have shocked expressions.
Despite the intrusion and interrogations, we remained friends. Sometimes we discuss the interrogations and conclude that we cannot work together, we both have stubborn personalities and that cannot work for us. Well, don't blame me, I grew up a tom boy and my stubborn nature never left me.

However, one thing we both did is committed it to God so only His Will shall be done.

In December 2012, we were both in Nigeria for holiday with our respective families and we had a weird skype conversation:
Dimples: Are you sure you want to marry me Jackie?
Me: Shocked face. Dud we are not in a relationship neither are we an item neither have you proposed
Dimples: You know I do not like the whole dating thing? If I am sure I want to marry someone, what is the point of dating?
Me: *shy smile*
Dimples: Why are you shy?
Me: No, am not shy. Anyway for me, I want to be in a relationship, progress to proposal, progress to courtship and planning a wedding stage and getting married. Its all a process and you get to learn at every stage too.
Dimples: Erm, whats all the long procedure? Cant you just go to proposal stage? Na wa o. So, is that what you want?
Me: *Shy* yes that is how I want it.
Dimples: Ok. We will keep praying to God for direction.

Okay, this post is getting long. LOL

In February 2013, he officially asked me to be in a relationship with him (in his words, be my lady). I said yes (my first yes to him, i suppose?) So our formal relationship began. We got to know more about each other at this stage and we learnt so much.

We continued to grow all by God's grace, our friendship blossomed more too. We bless the Lord, we are still growing and learning more daily. At the time he asked me to be his lady, we were both convinced in our heart that this is it for us and we could be more than friends.

So February 2013 was the beginning of our journey together as a couple.

*Stay tuned...our story continues
Have a blessed week ahead.

Love,
Jackie



No comments:

Post a Comment